Fishermen’s Retreat, No 4 Tucking Mill Cottages
Totally renovated – just available
Only 12 mins Bath City Centre
A Haven of Calm
12 mins max from Bath City Centre, 10 mins from the Universities of Bath and Bath Spa, the MOD, Bath Clinic and the Circle, Tucking Mill is ideally placed whether you want to enjoy the treasures of the City or the delights of the countryside, or indeed both.
Fishermen’s Retreat is one of the artisan cottages in Tucking Mill, built originally for the Somerset Coal Canal workers. The rank of cottages (4 in total) is 100 feet from the banks of the Midford Brook, where wildlife and waterlife abound. The delightful private garden fronts on to the brook where there is a lovely seating area under the willows. Ideal for a glass of Chablis or a barbecue. Fly fishing on the stocked Midford Brook can be arranged for an extra cost (fancy trout for breakfast?).
The comfortable sitting room boasts an old polished oak parquet floor and a traditional wood burning stove with settee/sofabed and two club chairs. The dining area has a traditional mahogany drop leaf table and 4 chairs.
The kitchen has been recently modernised with electric oven and hob, clothes washer, microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge etc. There are also a breakfast table and four fold up chairs.
Up the narrow stairs there are two bedrooms. The master bedroom with a view over the garden down to the brook has double/twin bed with Egyptian cotton sheeting and cream throws, a large pine wardrobe and a wash stand/dressing table. The small single bedroom has a 2 ft 6” single bed with similar bedding with a view to the gardens at the rear of the property.
The shower room has a large shower and all mod cons.
Gas central heating, water and electricity included as well as a Welcome Basket containing coffee, teas, cereals, milk, bread, butter and marmalade to get you started.
Ideal for those who want to balance the delights of the city (only 15 mins away) with the calm of the countryside.
Fishers/walkers/cyclists are most welcome. Storage facilities for wetweather gear available.
Regrettably the premises are not suitable for the less able or those under 12 and much as we love them, no pets due to local wildlife.
Rates including Welcome Basket is £98 for 2 people and £130 for 3, £162 for 4. Minimum stay 2 nights.
- Awaiting Grading
- 4 Visit England Stars
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Capacity||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Fishermen's Retreat - cottage for 2 people||2||£98.00 per unit per night|
|Fishermen's Retreat - cottage for 3 people||3||£130.00 per unit per night|
|Fishermen's Retreat - cottage for 4 people||4||£162.00 per unit per night|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per unit per week or per unit per night for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- In countryside
- Midweek breaks
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Village Location
- Weekend breaks
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Over 10 years old
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Access to golf course
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking
- Cycle hire
- Gym - At nearby Combe Grove Manor Country Club
- Health/Fitness/ Beauty Facilities - At nearby Combe Grove Manor Country Club
- Indoor pool - At nearby Combe Grove Manor Country Club
- Other sporting facilities - At nearby Combe Grove Manor Country Club
- Outdoor pool - At nearby Combe Grove Manor Country Club
- Sauna - At nearby Combe Grove Manor Country Club
- Solarium - At nearby Combe Grove Manor Country Club
- Spa bath - At nearby Combe Grove Manor Country Club
- Tennis court - At nearby Combe Grove Manor Country Club
- Accept Bank Transfers, Internet Payment or SWIFT/IBAN
- All major credit cards accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- CD Player
- Colour TV
- Drying Facilities
- DVD Player
- Electric shaver point
- Free View TV
- Ironing Facilities
- Modem Point
- Oven / Cooker
- Washing Machine
- Broadband Internet Access
- Electricity inc in rate
- Garden/patio for guests' use
- Gas inc in rate
- Hot Tub/Spa Bath
- Linen provided
- Open all year
- Short breaks available
- Wireless Broadband Internet Access
- Mobile Phone Reception
- Special provisions for cyclists
- Special provisions for walkers
1. From Bath, take the A36 towards Warminster.
2. Follow this road for about 2 to 3 miles until you come to a set of traffic lights.
3. At the traffic lights turn right up Brassknocker Hill (past the Viaduct Inn).
4. Take the first left to Monkton Combe. Drive through Monkton Combe and take the first left, signposted Tucking Mill.
5 Drive for about ½ mile along the valley and you will come to the first building on your left on the road side which is the rear of the Annexe. Park here for Tucking Mill Annexe only.
1. Exit at Junction 18 for Bath. Follow the A46 to Bath.
2. Large roundabout, head right to Bath.
3. At Bath at large traffic lights, get in left hand lane and turn left, picking up the A36 towards Warminster.
4. Follow the A36 for about 3 miles until you come to a filling station on your left, then a set of traffic lights at the Viaduct pub on right.
5. At the traffic lights, turn right up Brassknocker Hill. Take the first left to Monkton Combe.
6. Drive through Monkton Combe and take the first left, signposted Tucking Mill.
7. Drive for about ½ mile along the valley and you will come to Tucking Mill (brown signpost).
8. The Annexe is the first building on the road side on the left . Park here for Tucking Mill Annexe only. The entrance to the Annexe is on your right as you face the rear of the Annexe. Light sensors surround the Annexe.
Park and enter via gate on your right as you look at the rear of the Annexe. Light sensors surround the Annexe.
Tucking Mill Cottages (not to be confused with Tucking Mill Cottage on the road-side) are down the drive immediately before the Annexe coming from Monkton Combe.
Parking is at the end of the drive between the green lines and will be signposted.
A small path opposite the parking place leads down to the cottages. Go down the steps and round to the left. The path should be illuminated but bring a torch just in case (useful for going to the pubs anyway). No 2 is the first cottage- there is no No 1. Brooks’ View (No 3) and Fishermen’s Retreat (no 4) are next door to No 2.
The key will be found in the keypad at the left of the doors.
Any problems, ring Ann on 01225 833223 or Emma on 07845 586707. Please do not disturb our neighbours.
Public Transport Directions
By train : to the closest mainline station, Bath Spa . Take a taxi – circa £10. Contact Abbey Taxies 01225 444446 or Z cars 01225 464646
By plane: to Bristol Airport 22.6 miles away. Airlines include Easyjet and Ryanair. Take Airport Carz if you want a taxi otherwise head for Bristol by bus, catch a train and then take a taxi.
By coach : to Bath Bus and Coach Station. Take a taxi
By sea: Southampton Ferry Terminal is 50 miles away ( 80km): Portsmouth is 60 miles away (105 km)