Great Pulteney Street was commissioned by Sir William Pulteney and completed in 1789. No 53 and No 54 have served as domestic homes, long term lodgings and as a school. In 1919 the two properties were first combined into a private hotel, St Monica’s.
In 1985 the name was changed to Dukes Hotel, in honour of His Grace the Duke of Clevedon. Dukes operated as a full service hotel through until 2012 when the current owners purchased the property. Now known more simply as ‘Dukes’ or ‘Dukes of Bath’ the reputation and emphasis on service and unforced hospitality, towards all guests, will continue to rest at the heart of this wonderful property.