Visit Bath's creative Marketing team is responsible for our overall destination marketing strategy, and for the delivery of annual marketing campaigns designed to promote Bath to both domestic and overseas visitors.
Working with partners and stakeholders, our marketing approach concentrates on achieving a balance of staying and day visitors, growing value rather than increasing the volume of visitors, promoting off-peak periods and prioritising growth where there is capacity in the sector.
Visit Bath’s marketing activities and operations include:
- Maintaining the destination and event websites, including visitbath.co.uk, bathchristmasmarket.co.uk and bathvenuefinder.co.uk
- Creating and delivering targetted, strategic marketing campaigns
- Delivering digital activity and promotion including social media and consumer e-newsletters
- Ensure Bath gains consistent media converage, through PR and media management
- Creating printed publications, including the Bath Visitor Guide and Bath at Christmas Guide
- Attending trade and consumer exhibitions, to increase Bath's visibility to a wide international audience
- To present Bath’s distinctive assets as a ‘must explore and stay’ international spa heritage destination
- To maximise opportunities for growth between Sundays and Thursdays
- To spread staying visitors throughout Bath city and the surrounding countryside, all year, by emphasising the range, quality, and appeal of the product offer
- To attract high spending day visitors and encourage them to extend their stay and increase spend in the local economy
Our target markets
Staying visitors from the UK
Origin - M4 corridor London/SE England and M5 corridor SW England to West Midlands.
Staying visitors from overseas
Origin - short haul (European) from France & Germany. Long haul from the USA
Overseas visits account for nearly 6% of all staying visitors to Bath. In partnership with Destination Bristol, Bristol Airport and the Bristol & Bath Cultural Destinations project, Visit Bath is currently targeting three key overseas markets – France, Germany and the USA. This involves promoting a ‘twin-cities’ destination product, offering a unique mix of visitor experiences across Bristol and Bath.
Origin - domestic visitors within a radius of 50 miles of Bath, and international visitors on a day trip from London.
Visiting Friends and Relatives (VFR)
Origin - staying with local residents or staying with family or friends in a regional context.
Visit Bath works closely with its conference members to grow the level of business tourism coming to the city and the surrounding area, aiming to attract:
- Day and residential conferences and meetings
- Incentives and social programmes
- Small scale association meetings
A central enquiry-handling and venue-finding service is delivered for our Bath Venue Finder website by a specialist agency, Brief2Event.This provides dedicated telephone lines, staffing and back-up administration, responding to enquiries and assisting clients with different components of their event. Visit Bath also works closely with Brief2Event in the delivery of a sales and digital marketing activity plan, supported by in-house PR and social media.