AboutFrome is an historic market town with hidden gems of architectural interest making it a hugely rewarding place to explore. It is an attractive town built on steep hills with cobbled streets. A walk around the town will uncover parts of the Medieval street pattern, including Cheap Street with a leat (stream) running along its length.
Frome is a centre for arts and crafts with a number of Galleries and contemporary Craft Centres. The arts in all forms are well represented with two theatres, a multi-purpose venue and a nationally recognised annual ten day Festival in early July. Many individual makers have shops or workshops in the town.
A wide range of individual and specialist shops, particularly in the Cheap Street and Catherine Hill areas, add further character and enhance a growing reputation for boutique shopping. Alongside the choice of quirky shopping is an equally eclectic mix of markets including twice weekly general markets, a weekly Country Market and monthly Farmers and Artisan / Flea Markets. These have all been combined into a hugely popular Super Market in the traffic free town centre on the first Sunday of the month through the summer.
Must See & Do:
1. Soak up the best in contemporary culture at various Arts Centres
2. Find fabulous food, local crafts and much more at the markets
3. Explore the Heritage Trail or take a guided tour on summer Sundays
4. Immerse yourself in local history at Frome Museum
5. Discover champion cheeses at Frome Cheese Show in September
6. Enjoy the fresh air cycling the Colliers Way or walking the Mendip Way