Pancake Day is just around the corner! To celebrate, we're bringing you this super vegan pancake recipe from Bath Cookery School, Demuths, who specialise in vegan, vegetarian and special dietary requirements.
Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
Buckwheat flour imparts a slightly nutty taste and photogenic speckled look. And the yeast and baking powder give them a light texture we love. Experiment with using sough dough starter instead of yeast for a different depth of flavour. And enjoy!
200ml Soya Milk, Warm
5g Dried Instant Yeast
100g Organic Plain White Flour
75g Organic Buckwheat Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
Sunflower Oil for Cooking
1. Make the batter. Mix the yeast, sugar and milk together. Leave to sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to dissolve. Mix in the flours and baking powder and whisk well for a minute until smooth. Leave to sit for 30 minutes until the batter is bubbly. Lastly mix in the salt.
2. Heat a thick-bottomed frying pan until it is evenly hot. Brush lightly with oil and remove the excess with a piece of kitchen roll. Spread a ladle full of batter out over the pan in a thin layer.
3. Wait for a minute for the mix to set and colour up underneath
4. Turn each pancake over once when golden on the underside and colour the other side.
Repeat the process until all the mixture is used up.
5. Serve sprinkled with sugar and a squeeze of lemon.
Guest Post by Demuths Cookery School