To celebrate Pancake Day, we're bringing you this super vegan pancake recipe from Bath cookery school, Demuths, who specialise in vegan, vegetarian and special dietary requirements.
Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
Buckwheat flour imparts a slightly nutty taste and photogenic speckled look, and the yeast and baking powder give them a light texture we love. Experiment with using sourdough starter instead of yeast for a different depth of flavour.
- 200ml soya milk, warm
- 5g dried instant yeast
- 10g sugar
- 100g organic plain white flour
- 75g organic buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Sunflower oil for cooking
- Make the batter. Mix the yeast, sugar and milk together. Leave to sit for five minutes for the yeast to dissolve. Mix in the flours and baking powder and whisk well for a minute until smooth. Leave to sit for 30 minutes until the batter is bubbly. Lastly, mix in the salt.
- Heat a thick-bottomed frying pan until it is evenly hot. Brush lightly with oil and remove the excess with a piece of kitchen roll. Spread a ladle full of batter out over the pan in a thin layer.
- Wait for a minute for the mix to set and colour up underneath.
- Turn each pancake over once when golden on the underside and colour the other side. Repeat the process until all the mixture is used up.
- Serve sprinkled with sugar and a squeeze of lemon.