This week's Bath Bites recipe comes to you courtesy of Homewood's Executive Chef Jamie Forman. Enjoy a taste of Italy from the comfort of your own home with Jamie's recipe for focaccia bread...
Homewood's Focaccia Bread
- 1kg strong bread flour
- 550ml warm water
- 90ml olive oil
- Either 40g yeast, 17g dry yeast or 12g quick action yeast
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped sage, rosemary or whichever herb you’d like to use
- A handful of chopped olives
- 2 cloves of coarse chopped garlic
- Place salt in the bottom of a bowl or on a bench.
- Cover with flour, if making on a bench create a well.
- Mix the yeast with the warm water and oil then add to the flour mix.
- Knead in a mixer for eight minutes or by hand for ten minutes.
- Prove in a bowl covered with a tea towel until doubled in volume.
- Knock back on bench and add flavour of your choice.
- Add olives, garlic and sage.
- Stretch into a sheet (lined with parchment) or alternatively cut into balls and place in muffin tin rounds.
- Prove again to double in size.
- Once proved, dip your finger ends into flour and poke classic holes in each one and then brush with oil and sprinkle on garlic on top.
- Prove for a further 20 minutes.
- Once the bread has proven again, bake at 200°C for eight-to-ten minutes.
- Take out of oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
A country house set in ten acres of gardens and grounds, with picturesque walks on the doorstep, everyone who visits Homewood is encouraged to feel at home. Guests can expect an inviting mix of roaring log fires, beautiful antiques and original thirteenth-century features combined with twenty-first-century comforts and statement art, for that lived-in home from home feel.