Located on St James's Parade in Bath, Noya's Kitchen is a brilliant, family-run Vietnamese restaurant. Here, the team have shared the recipe for their warming Ginger and Chilli Chicken Stew for you to try at home...
Noya's Kitchen's Ginger and Chilli Chicken Stew (Ga Xao Gung)
Serves four people
- 30g ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 fresh, whole chillies (use less if you prefer it less spicy)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
For the Chicken Marinade:
- 500g chicken thighs, cut into 2cm strips
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
For the Sauce:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tsp corn flour
- 90ml water or coconut water
- First, marinate the chicken – in a large bowl, combine the chicken and ingredients for the marinade and mix well. Cover for 30 minutes, or if you have time, place in the fridge overnight.
- In a hot wok, add the oil and stir fry the ginger until it's fragrant. Move the ginger to the side of the wok and add the sliced onion and whole chillies, frying until fragrant. Move all the ingredients to the side.
- Add the chicken to the wok, browning on both sides. Mix the ginger and onion together with the chicken, then add the garlic and mix well.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together and add to the wok, stirring for a few minutes. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes on a low heat.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat to reduce the sauce for five-to-ten minutes, or to the consistency you like. Transfer to a dish and stir in the sesame oil.
- Garnish with the sesame seeds and coriander, and serve with jasmine rice.
About Noya's Kitchen
Noya's Kitchen is a family-run Vietnamese restaurant hosting supper clubs, pho and curry nights, and cookery classes. On Fridays and Saturdays in lockdown they are offering Dishes to Go; order via their website by Wednesday evening each week. Please check their website for further details.