A brand-new audio tour is now available for adult visitors bringing the house to life with stories about how the Herschel family lived and worked in Bath, exploring their contributions to science and music during their time at 19 New King Street. Also new for 2021 is an audio-visual guide for children – meet Caroline Herschel as she takes you around her home and helps you explore the home and collections, encouraging you to make your own discoveries.
19 New King Street was home to the astronomer and musician William Herschel and his sister Caroline, and is dedicated to their achievements in music and astronomy.
The astronomy sessions take place outside Herschel’s workshop, in the charming eighteenth-century formal garden, where, with a telescope of his own construction, Herschel discovered the planet Uranus in 1781.
Visit the website for session dates, times and to purchase tickets.
A disabled parking space is situated outside the museum in New King Street.
An audio tour is available for visitors who are blind or partially sighted, accompanied by a book of tactile images.
A virtual tour is available to visitors with mobility problems on the ground floor; it is also possible to see Constructing the Heavens on a screen in the reception area.
Tactile plans of the museum and garden are available with raised lettering and Braille.
Workshop handling – replicas of objects such as Herschel’s polishing machine situated in the workshop are designed to be handled.
Book Tickets Online
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Child||£3.00 per ticket|
|Adult||£6.50 per ticket|
|Concession||£5.50 per ticket|
|Family (2+2)||£14.50 per ticket|
|Groups||£5.50 per ticket|
|Student||£3.50 per ticket|
B&NES Discovery Card Holders: 2 for 1 entry
- Gift Shop
- Facilities for Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
Audio Commentary in Foreign Languages
- Event Venue
- Indoor Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
Parking & Transport
- On Bus Route
- Parking (charge) - Charlotte Street Car Park
- Special group rates
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2019
- TripAdvisor Awards TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous Bristol, Bath and Somerset Tourism Awards 2017/18 - Gold 2017
- TripAdvisor Awards TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence - 2019 2019
|Opening (18 Jan 2022 - 17 Dec 2022)|
|Monday - Friday||13:00||- 17:00*|
|Saturday - Sunday||11:00||- 17:00*|
* Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays 11am-5pm
Last entry 4.30pm