This quirky country house, once home to the inventor of the photographic negative, was built on upon the foundations of a former nunnery. It now encapsulates the leisured life of a wealthy and intellectually curious family, the Fox Talbots, whose most famous member was a scientific polymath and moved among the outstanding minds of the early 19th century.
The Abbey, which has been at the heart of Lacock for more than eight centuries, is surrounded by meadows and woodland that is filled with birds and carpeted with crocus in spring. The medieval Cloister (which stood in for Hogwarts in the Harry Potter films) is a peaceful, golden space that gives a sense of the building’s monastic past, while the richly furnished rooms above connect the visitor with the genius of William Henry Fox Talbot, the gentleman-scientist whose discoveries paved the way for 20th century photography.
Explore the history of photography in the Fox Talbot museum, which not only celebrates Fox Talbot’s achievements but also hosts a programme of photography exhibitions.
Beyond the Abbey gates is a quintessential English village, which has been the backdrop to many films and TV dramas. Lacock grew up to serve the medieval nunnery and is still a thriving community, many of the homes unchanged in essence for centuries and now filled with independent retailers.
Book Tickets Online
|Adult - Abbey, Grounds and Museum
|£15.00 per ticket
|Child - Abbey, Grounds and Museum
|£7.50 per ticket
|Family - Abbey, Grounds and Museum
|£37.50 per ticket
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Braille guide, audio tape, large print guide.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Stables café and (seasonally) Courtyard café
- Picnic Site
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Approx length of visit - 3 hours
- In countryside
- Max group size - 100
- Min group size - 15
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - Parking (charge for non-National Trust members, members park for free)
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Special group rates - On request
- Visa accepted
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Danish printed material
- Dutch printed material
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Italian printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Spanish printed material
- Marketed towards families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - On request
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.None
|2024 (2 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)
* Please call 01249 730459 or visit www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lacock to check exact opening times.
Village businesses operate independently.